Monday, January 5, 2015

What I Learned Yesterday

I was sick last Friday and Saturday. However, I was feeling better by Saturday evening. Hallelujah! But by that same evening, the boy got sick too, and he's condition was worse than mine. I threw up three times on Friday, and that was it. The whole day of Saturday, I just felt so weak. Him? He was in excruciating stomach pain, vomiting, chills, muscle pain, headache, and diarrhea.  I hate you, stomach flu! (((GO AWAY!)))

The whole family had plans of going to Washington D.C. yesterday, but since the boy became sick, we both stayed home.  While he was sleeping, I cooked Filipino chicken soup with lots of ginger. It's the same as Tinolang Manok minus the chayote or the green papaya and the malunggay. But instead of the latter, I used spinach.

...and here's what I learned yesterday, in making soup, DO NOT EVER USE RED ONIONS! I thought it wouldn't matter since I only use 1/16th of the red onion which was a leftover. I should have frozen or stored the leftover onion in a tight container and used the yellow ones instead. Tsk, Tsk. Tsk. 

Look! My soup is so unappetizing. It looks murky!

L1800194

...and the chicken meat looks bruised. They look so gray!

L1800193

It tasted the same though, but it is not eyegasmic at all like I always make it.

Lesson learned--never use red onions in clear broth soups, but yellow or white onions only. For the red ones, it is best eaten or served fresh.

Until next post. Stay warm and healthy!

7 comments:

trishie said...

Hope the boy is better now. Homemade chicken soup must be the best cure

Marjorie said...

I thought the red onions affected the taste haha... But oh well, I'd take your word for it.

crybaby said...

I just knew this now. I thought the white ones are best fresh too, particularly in sandwiches.

jonathan said...

I don't cook so whatever is served on the table, I'll eat. My mum taught me this. Best to eat something cooked at home, done with love.

jep buendia said...

Get well soon 'the boy'.
Parang gusto ko tuloy kumain ng tinola hehehe.
Sana magluto si mudra :)

ღღČяїstinEεїз said...

Aww gosh! now I'm instantly hungry Miss waahhh ang sarap tingnan ng mga ulam! I love tinolang manok so much! so happy for what you've learned. Btw, I got sick for the past couple of days too. Right now I'm still taking my meds..cheers to us and to good health! <3

love lots,
Tin

mypoeticisolation.blogspot.com

ZaiZai said...

I hope that the boy is well now and back to his fantastic self :)

Thanks for the tip Lili! Though back here, not everyone minds how food looks, they'd eat it despite it looking like swamp water (not me though hehe)

Post a Comment