Sunday, November 11, 2012

That Cuban Place Café

The mister woke up sick sometime in late October. He decided to stay home for the day and rest. It was gloomy and a little wet outside when I drove and dropped the kids off to school. It was misty and a bit cold too. One good great thing about it was the rainbow.

L1580674 L1580675 L1580671

A little over 1:00 pm, the mister was feeling better. I asked him if he wanted to eat somewhere before we picked the kids up.

The mister suggested to have lunch at That Cuban Place which reopened around the first week of April of this year. Check their previous space in downtown here and here. The building of their previous location was condemned last year in March so they had to close down. They reopened months after that on a food truck but Frederick does not welcome this kind of business. This community is just happy they are back in a better location with more seating and parking.

L1580676

It was passed lunch time already, so it looked like we had the whole place all to ourselves.

L1580677
L1580685 L1580678 L1580680

The place was clean and was bursting with colors from their walls to the artworks on their walls and to the fresh carnations on every table.

L1580682
L1580683 L1580684

I had the special for the day which wasn't in the menu. The pork tasted like "Humba" only it had beans in it. The rice was "almost" delicious. I thought the pork and rice needed a little bit of seasoning.

By the way, Humba (braised pork belly) is a Filipino dish from the Visayan region in the Philippines.

L1580688

Despite the lack of a little bit of seasoning, I still loved my plate especially with the addition of  fried plantains on it.

The mister had something from their breakfast (desayuno) menu -- #4 S&E (Steak and eggs).
Two eggs and a beef steak, sauteed with onions and served with home fries. It came with bread and a cup of  coffee.

L1580689

I had a couple sips of their coffee and it was to die for.

Narciso, one of the owners who served us that day, was chatty and friendly. Because of that, the place felt like home. He asked us before we left if we're going to come back.  Of course, we will and with the kids too. I just hope they'll served Cuban oxtail stew the next time.

L1580691
L1580693


That Cuban Place Café
506 E Church St.
Frederick, MD 21701
(301) 760-7736
http://thatcubanplace.com/ 
Monday & Tuesday 6:00am to 3:00pm
Wednesday thru Friday 6:00am to 7:00pm
Saturday 10:00am to 9:00pm
Sunday Closed

12 comments:

leonayuk said...

Paborito jud nak ang Humba ug piniritong saging. Ganahan bitaw pod ko ug Cuban style coffee.

Archieviner VersionX said...

Kailan kaya ulit ako makakaita ng rainbow? Mukhang masarap nga yang humba. Kain palang ulam na :)

Pink Line said...

grabe nakakatakam yung food ni mister...and the ambiance looks good :)

ZaiZai said...

I wonder how the Humba got into their menu :)

Lovely meal, cozy place. It's like a date with the mister! :)

R. Joy de Leon said...

I agree.. Mister's food looks yummy! I wish my hubby also likes to explore different restos, we usually eat at the same places we've already tried/liked. I'm the only one who loves trying something different/new. :)

Hi! I am LiLi! said...

I agree.

Hindi talaga laging nagpapakita ang rainbow. No?

Hi! I am LiLi! said...

May special sila araw-araw. Minsan they suggest kung ano ang niluluto ng asawa niya kahit wala sa menu.

I tried lang kasi Cuban food nga daw, tasted like Humba lang pala. hehehehe

Hi! I am LiLi! said...

Masarap nga yong breakfast dish niya.

Hi! I am LiLi! said...

You should try new restos but read din reviews para to make sure okay and service at masarap ang food.

Hi! I am LiLi! said...

Lami jud ilang kape.

joanne said...

Like ko ang pork humba! Parang ang sarap nun steak ni mister, nag-caramelize na yun onions, yummy!

Ay naku, ako din, tagal ko ng hindi nakakita ng rainbow, bat ganun?! ay siguro kasi night shift ako no? good luck naman sa rainbow pag gabi, haha..

Hi! I am LiLi! said...

I should come back there at ng matikman ko rin ang steak na yan.

Post a Comment