Friday, November 2, 2012

The Happy Birds

Sammy came over the other weekend for a sleepover as a celebration for the young lady and her birthday. The night before that, she showed me what she was going to give Yna. It was handmade by her. Of course, the young lady was excited.
L1580455
She gave Yna a black super scarf with streaks of silver glittery yarn. I think it took Sammy a week and five spools of yarn to finish it

By Saturday early afternoon, we went downtown for an early dinner. We planned to go to Firestone's since they went back to business again after a short renovation caused by a small fire months ago.
L1580467
Dinner was served in an hour, that was what we were told and I guess the girls and the boy were hungry already so we had to change plans.

There were a few choices on where to eat an early dinner but what was decided by the majority was the Lucky Corner since Sammy hadn't tried Vietnamese cuisine yet.
L1580505 L1580475 L1580477

There weren't many diners yet as it was still about five in the afternoon. We had Thai iced tea ($2.95) except for the mister who had French iced coffee with condensed milk ($2.95).
L1580486
The kids made sure they ordered Thai iced tea this time since the last time we ate at a Vietnamese restaurant, the boy finished mine and left me with only a few pieces of melting ice.

For appetizers, veggie fresh summer rolls (Goi Cuon Chay)
2 pieces . fried tofu, vermicelli noodles, mint leaves, Julienne cucumber and bean sprouts wrapped in soft rice paper served with peanut sauce. $4.25
L1580494
Yna and I loved this but most especially  the peanut sauce.

and Lucky Corner's combination
Crispy spring roll, crispy golden squid, chicken skewers and beef in grape leaves. $12.95
L1580495
I thought the chicken skewers needed a little seasoning.

For our main course:
Vietnamese Crepe (Banh Xeo)
Vietnamese style omelette stuffed with pork, shrimp, onions and bean sprouts. Garnished with mints, julienne carrots, cucumber, and lettuce served with Nuoc Mam.
L1580498
With the first few bites, it was so orgasmic. Some part of the crepe were crunchy. I loved it. But when I reached the middle part, I realized it was stuffed more of the bean sprouts than the pork and shrimp. I kind of didn't love it anymore.

Duck At The Corner (Vit Xao La Que) - Lightly breaded duck meat sauteed with mushroom and vegetables in flavorful Thai soy sauce and chopped basil. $11.95. It said on the menu, "It's a must try!"
L1580499
I loved the duck but it was a bit chewy. I can't help but compare it with a duck dish served at Lansdowne Resort in Leesburg, Virginia. Their duck just melted into my mouth. It was really to die for.

Mango Chicken (Ga Xao "Xoai)
Chunks of crispy chicken stir fried with fresh mango, snow peas and red bell pepper. $10.95 L1580500

Caramelized Cat Fish (Ca Kho To)
Fresh filet of catfish simmered in caramelized fish sauce in traditional hot pot, topped with black pepper and scallion. Served with steamed jasmine rice and steamed seasonal vegetables. $10.95
L1580501
I loved this more than the pork (see next photo).

Caramelized Pork in Hot Pot (Heo Kho To)
Sliced tender pork simmered in caramelized fish sauce, topped with green onions and black pepper. Served in traditional hot pot with a side of steamed vegetables. $10.95 L1580502

They didn't have mint candies but a tamarind flavored one. The boy didn't like it one bit.
L1580507

We didn't have dessert there since we were planning to get cake or tart at Wegman's.

I went with the young ladies to buy our dessert. I took a photo of them with the pumpkin display by the entrance since both of them weren't able to go to a pumpkin patch this fall.
L1580545

After a few discussions on whether to get a cake, fruit tart or a layer of chocolate mousse, they chose this -- Chocolate Raspberry Tart.
L1580549

I let the October celebrants blow their cake tart before slicing it, of course.
L1580556

Tart-gasm! Oh yeah!
L1580557

They had hot earl grey tea with it.
L1580560

They watched movies in the living room until dawn after.

The end. Now back to sewing at the sweat shop.



The Lucky Corner Vietnamese Restaurant
 700 N Market St,
Frederick, MD 21701
 Tel #: 301.624.1005
Mon - Sat: 11:00 am - 9:00 pm
Sun: 11:00 am - 8:00 pm
http://www.luckycornerrestaurant.com/

8 comments:

ZaiZai said...

Oh my, so much food! Everything looks yummy :)

The birds looked happy indeed, having tart and tea :)

joanne said...

I ate first before reading this post.. Good thing I did! Hehe..

I find the food quite expensive, maybe because subconsciously I'm converting prices to peso, hehe.. But they all look yummy!

I want the tart minus the raspberry bec I saw the hair thing-y there, hehe..

Steph said...

I love Vietnamese food... but I am not a huge fan of the omelet thing. I love beansprouts, but not in this dish. I love fresh spring rolls, but not the peanut sauce -- I LOVE the fish sauce! I guess we shouldn't dine together? Or maybe we should... so we can share??? ;) I LOVE thai tea (but not sure why they serve that at a Vietnamese restaurant! LOL) I LOVE the Vietnamese iced coffee (and end up bouncing off the walls all day so hubby tries NOT to encourage me to order that even though I crave it when we walk in any Vietnamese restaurant). That tart/cake, whatever you want to call it... looks AMAZING!!!! and with hot tea... YES, please!! :)

eMPi said...

nagpanilap ko sa imong post ba. makalagot. gigutom noon ko! haha

Hi! I am LiLi! said...

:) Masarap lahat except mine. Iyong crepe. :(

Hi! I am LiLi! said...

That's what I did rin when we arrived here. Mag convert ng peso to dolyar.

I think yan na ang mga presyo dito unless it's buffet. I think they're even cheaper na compare to bigger cities.

The raspberry is matamis. Maasim yong nabili ko noon. :(

Hi! I am LiLi! said...

I love beansprouts too but I didn't like it in the crepe.

Yes we can share. Hahaha.

Thai tea in a Viet resto. That was what I asked myself too but then maybe it's like French fries in American restos. Maybe like that. hehehehe

:)

Hi! I am LiLi! said...

Wa gyud kay allergies sa food nga gi-order namo. Hehehehe

Post a Comment