Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Paksiw

I have been wanting to eat Paksiw na Isda (Inun-unan in Bisaya) for a few weeks already. Paksiw is a Filipino dish cooked with fish (isda) in vinegar, garlic, long chili pepper, some add ginger, bay leaf, and vegetables in it, seasoned with fish sauce. There is also a Paksiw with pork (baboy), still cooked with vinegar but it's always added with soy sauce, a little sugar, and no vegetables and fish sauce added to it. Since I have been doing a very concious effort on eating plant-based food only, but I am not really as strict with the food I eat on weekends. Last week, I told the mister that I wanted to eat Paksiw na Isda for the coming weekend.

Complete with my ingredients, sadly, the mister changed his mind, and instead, wanted to have a broiled fish with lots of ginger. I was still okay with it. By Monday, the craving for Paksiw na Isda was still there, so I made it last night with eggplant and bittermelon, garlic, ginger, and vinegar sans the fish and the fish sauce. I just seasoned it with salt.

It was really good! It did satisfy my craving. Paksiw na Gulay (vegetable) is achievable, and it's delicious!

Of course, it would be so much better with the fish, but this really made me happy. There are no Filipino dishes in plant-based recipe books. Mostly American and European dishes. There are a few Asian dishes, but aren't particularly Filipino.

Untitled

This recipe is a keeper!


3 comments:

Mr. Tripster said...

Maybe it's about time someone should write a Filipino book recipe about native pinoy vegetables. Unfortunately I won't buy one. I'm not a fan of vegetables no fish. Strictly carnivore. Hehehe!

Nancy Chan said...

The dish is totally new to me. How nice to be able to cook yourself to satisfy your craving.

ღღČяїstinEεїз said...

Wow! I bet you are a really great cook Lili!!!!
nakakatakam lahat ng mga food post mo sa blog mo!
I love paksiw, unfortunately my mom is not a fan of it so I can't have it always. I must learn how to cook it by myself!

love lots,
Tin

mypoeticisolation.blogspot.com

Post a Comment