Wednesday, September 23, 2015

My Heart Did a Titanic!


source

On special occasions, you always want to spend the day, and celebrate it intimitately with your family, or with your closest friends. You always want to mark the calendar with memories together with the special people in your life. Sometimes, even those random get-togethers are truly precious too because you spent it with people that you like.

Today, I got a birthday invitation, but there's a twist! The invitation made my heart leap for joy! That just meant I am special to the celebrant.

Ugh! Here comes the twist! She is hosting a network marketing party for her birthday! Then my heart did a total Titanic! It sunk!

WTH!

The invitation is actually a marketing ploy, and not because I am special to the person.  She wanted me to be a "potential" client to her networking business. I have nothing against the product, or the people behind it, I am not just interested. If I like the product, I'll go! But, this is the nth time that I am invited for a presention of this product.

This is the second time that this happened to me. The first was some years ago. It was a get-together of friends of the host and hostess. To everyone's surprise, after the potluck dinner, friends of the couple who we first met that night presented their product and services! We brought food and drove all the way to Washington D.C. from Frederick for a networking business presentation without our knowledge!

After that party, I forgave them. But they chose to erase my friendship from their lives. No hard feelings though from my end. I was not the one who tricked someone to go to a get-together with a money-making motive. The host and hostess claimed they were innocent! Oh well!

We are no longer friends with the people who did it before. Although this time, I am aware that the gathering is actually a business one, but still, I'd rather not go.

I make and keep friends because I like you and we get along. The invitation I got left a different taste in my mouth. I just didn't like it at all because I don't do business like that.





6 comments:

ღღČяїstinEεїз said...

Aww such kind of things really happen. But in the near future also, I'll only invite you to come over only because you are also dear to me! :)

love lots,
TIn

mypoeticisolation.blogspot.com

jonathan said...

I hope your frind gets to read this. Same as borrowing money and they are never returned, friendship is tested and eventually ends.

Nancy Chan said...

I too do not like this type of invitation as a ploy for marketing purposes. I would never want to attend this type of parties, unless I have the intention to buy.

stevevhan said...

When we say networking, nega na agad sa minds natin ang dating, but yeah, just like you, ayoko din ng mga gnyang pakulo, market the right way. Ang masama pa niyan, mas lalo silang umaayaw, kapag pinipilit, i mean, we all have busy schedules and shrink time table, so please people, if we want to, we would go,

Nakakasad yung mga ganitong story. :(

trishie said...

I understand your frustrations. I think networking parties are OK but the host needs to be upfront about it

Marjorie said...

Just recently, an officemate asked me if I know anyone who really made it big through networking. I paused and thought and couldn't come up with a name.

I think your friends only did that because if they tell anyone upfront if they'd be open for a meeting regarding networking, most probably they'd be turned down. But still I find it weird that somebody would do it on his/her birthday hahaha...

Post a Comment