Monday, April 13, 2015

Sabon

bh1173 
Image source: Ardnasellas.wordpress

Last Friday  after school in our living room, I saw the boy who just came from the bathroom. That's his ritual on school days---he visits the bathroom and then asks for his after-school snacks, and watch cartoons before he starts doing his homeworks, or on Fridays, he plays video games or chat online with his best friend.

Me: Oy! Nanghugas na ka ug kamut? (Hey! Did you wash your hands already?)
The boy: I did! Can't you tell?

I actually saw him wiping his hands on his shirt.

Me: Pero nanabon ka? (But did you use soap?)
The boy: There is no sabon in our bathroom!
Me: Oy! Naa! Imposibleng wa! (Hey! There is! It's impossible that there is none!)
The boy: I meant that rectagular soap.
Me: You mean bar soap? Wa ta ana pero naa 'tay liquid handsoap sa banyo. Now tell me honestly, nanabon ka o wa? (You mean bar soap? We don't have that but we have handsoap in the bathroom. Now tell me honestly, did you wash your hands with soap or not?

Insisting...
The boy: Yes, I did lagi! (Yes, I really did!)
Me: Pasimhuta kuno ko bi ug humot ug sabon ba imong kamut! (So let me smell your hands if it smells soap!)
The boy: Maaaaah, can I just give you a hug na lang? (Maaaah, can I just give you a hug instead?)

I knew it! He just washed his hands with water without soap. As his mother, I can tell when he lies. Then he continued to convice me that it's okay not to wash his hands. Sometimes.

The boy: Ma, Abraham Lincoln didn't wash his hands.
Me: Asa na man sya ron? Namatay na! Namatay sa kagaw! (Where is he now? He's dead! He died of germs!)

Hey! I was just kidding!

The boy: No, Ma! He died because he was assasinated at the Ford's Theatre in Washington DC! Not because he didn't sabon his hands!

I had a straight face but I was actually laughing inside!

Me: No! I think he died in Luneta.

I would really like to admit that I am loosing in this argument. But not yet! Hahaha! By the way, Luneta was where the national hero of the Philippines, Dr. Jose Rizal was shot.

The boy: What? I don't even know what's Luneta! All I know is Abraham Lincoln did not die because he didn't use sabon while washing his hands after a trip from the bathroom.

Me: *sigh! Nahala! Hug na lang kaysa simhut sa imong kamut ug nanabon ba ka! (Okay! Just give me that hug instead of me smelling your hands.)

I rest my case.

I conclude that a little germs won't kill you. After all there was no hand sanitizers, wet wipes or maybe public restrooms during Abe Lincoln's time.

Then we ate potato chips while watching cartoons in the living room.

Before I go, I have to confess! Hehehe. Honestly, there are occassions that I do not sabon my hands too. Please don't tell the boy. But I always use sabon when I use public restrooms.

On Friday evening, he let me smell his freshly washed with sabon hands even if I did't ask him to. Both  hands smelled fruity after his bathroom trip.

And oh! April 14, tomorrow is the 150th anniversary of Abraham Lincoln's assasination.

Until nex time. I heart you for stopping by.






8 comments:

Marjorie said...

The sabon saga haha... It's important to use soap when washing hands so I understand your sentiment. What I really don't understand are the girls in our office who never wash their hands after using the toilet. I really find it disturbing.

mike said...

i agree, you lost that battle. waive the white flag... :)

jonathan said...

In school, we wash our hands with soap all the time. Since I am with very young children, we make it a habit to sabon our hands while singing the happy birthday song. I have students wetting their hands only but I stand by the bathroom door and watch them wash their hands, ala guardia civil. Tell your boy that when Abe was assassinated, the people who rushed for help did not. Their germs went into his wound, ha,ha,ha.

Ryan Gantalao said...

Hahaha. Miss, ka-cute ba sa imong anak uy. Samukaaa kaayo!

Hi! I am LiLi! said...

EEEeeeeewwww! That's really disturbing.

Hi! I am LiLi! said...

I did. *sigh. Talo na naman ako!

Hi! I am LiLi! said...

I will try to tell him that next time, Jon. I'll be ready next time. :)

Hi! I am LiLi! said...

Hi, Ryan! Mingawon jud ko sa among mga cute nga lalis kung mo-college na pod ni sya in a few years.

Post a Comment