Saturday, January 17, 2015

Luncha... What?

Last Wednesday.
When I picked the boy up from school he said that some of his lunch mates always look at his lunch, especially this Asian friend. He said:

The boy: Ma, during lunch today, Candy Rita (not her real name) said my lunch looked so lami (delicious).
Me: Unsa man diay iyang bawon? (What's her packed lunch?)
The boy: It's sad, Ma.
Me: Kay? (Why?)
The boy: Lunchables!
Me: Ha? Lunchables? Di man na lunch nato! (That's not lunch for us!)
The boy: I know, Ma. She's lo-uy. (I pity her.) She looks at my lunch everyday, and I don't think she loves hers.

When the boy was in Kindergarten, the boy begged for me to buy him Lunchables too because some, if not most of his friends were having it for their lunches. I gave in to his request one time but he said never again to buy them because he said his lunches that I prepared were way better than Lunchables. In my opinion, it looks like they're hors d'oeuvres.

I always prepare the boy's lunch in the early morning. They're Filipino dishes and rice most of the time, and occasionally, I send him sandwiches consisting of  homemade bread, mayo, a little mustard, ham, cheese, lettuce, sliced bell pepper and tomatoes. Peanut butter and jelly sandwich is a very rare choice.

While I am away in California for the funeral of my stepfather, I think he will still bring packed lunches that will make his mates drool over it. I have passed the responsibility to the mister.

3 comments:

  1. My condolences Lili.


    Those Lunchables have no love! They are indeed sad! Not even fun for merienda!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those Lunchables are for the lazy like me but I won't eat them. They are for snacks only. I still prefer rice over crackers. I bet mister can also do superb lunches.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your boy is lucky to get lovingly cooked lunches!

    ReplyDelete