Friday, January 29, 2021

Manang Gigi

I started writing this the moment I heard of her passing. But, I do not know why I have a heavy heart every time I try to finish this post.

Along with the people I knew who've lost families due to Covid-19, I am sad. I am sad for Marq, her son.

I met Manang Gigi in July of 1998. Fresh from the Philippines, she was one of those who welcomed us to America. 

She talked a lot about Marq, and asked me if I knew him. I knew him from afar because he was friends with my classmates, and was a close friend of my little sister. By the way, back in the island, among 4 siblings, my little sister was the social butterfly. 

I was just a fly on the wall, thinking that nobody noticed my existence in the social scene. hehehehe.

Jay stayed for a couple of weeks in California, but my 2 year old daughter, Yna and I stayed for a month. Back then, like any family, relations between family members were tumultuous. I was in the middle of the crossfire. 

Manang Gigi was the only person that I felt was neutral. There was no pressure to show loyalty to one side. She didn't want to discuss about those things. There was peace when we were with her. She invited us to share meals she prepared or just to hang out. She loved to spend time with Yna, and asked her to sing Bahay Kubo and Lupang Hinirang (the Philippine National Anthem).

When we flew to Maryland after a month, I lost contact with her. I only say hi and hello one time through her son Marq, and a few times through a common friend, Mommy Lalang.

Manang Gigi, thank you for the time and the tranquil and neutral space you generously gave  us back in 1998. I sincerely I appreciated it.

Rest in peace, Gregoria "Gigi" Piscos - Mendez (January 4, 1939 - January 1, 2021).





4 comments:

suituapui said...

God bless her soul, may she rest in peace.

P.S.:
Thanks for dropping by my blog & for commenting.

yccos said...

May she rest in peace. I noticed that from her year of birth, she was a WWII survivor.

Hi! I am LiLi! said...

Yes, you are correct, Kat. They were toddlers during the war. She was born on the same year as my mother too.

suituapui said...

God bless her soul, may she rest in peace.

Post a Comment