Friday, November 6, 2015

Bria Skonberg

While at the clothes shop looking for a dress for a fall wedding, the mister sent me a text message about a show he wanted to watch at the Weinberg Center for the Arts in downtown. I thought it'll be on the weekend, but it'll be in about two hours from the moment he told me---at 7:30 pm that same evening. I hadn't prepared dinner yet, and was in fact on my way to the grocery store to get more ingredients for my baked spaghetti.

I scrapped the spaghetti, and I just steamed frozen pork siomai and boiled eggs to go with it instead. He told me about who was playing at the show and asked me to search her on YouTube. But I hadn't had the time since I was chatting with my daughter while fixing dinner.

On our way to the show, he said; "Ganahan jud ka ani!" (You'll really like this!)

Untitled Untitled Untitled Untitled Untitled

Oh my G! The moment they started playing, I really smiled from ear to ear. I remembered that feeling when the first time I stepped inside Disney World in 1998. I couldn't believe that we were in it, and not just seen it in the movies, on TV or in a magazine. I wanted to cry because I just wished my siblings and my close friends in the Philippines were with me at that very moment. Yes, I felt that exact kind of mixed emotions last night, and multiply that ten times more.

Four men in vest and suits, and a lady in dark blue wiggle dress came on stage and started playing, ,and then all I knew I was in heaven. I instantly thought of my children specially the boy. He sleeps during the orchestra around that time when my daughter played violin in high school, but he's fully awake when the high school jazz band is on. I also thought of my brother, Ayuki; brother-in-law, Pep; my little sister, Charmaine; and our neighbor, Nancy. I knew they would love to watch The Bria Skonberg Quintet. Bria Skonberg is an amazing trumpeter and a vocalist. She and the band brought soul, jazz, and the big band to Frederick last night.

Untitled Untitled
Untitled
Untitled

Check Bria on YouTube, or click thisthis, this, or this. She's absolutely amazing.

I woke up this morning still high from their music.  I'm just so happy the mister dragged me to Weinberg last night. It was our first to watch a show there, but definitely not the last.

3 comments:

Nancy Chan said...

I am glad you enjoyed the show with your mister! Such a lovely way to spend an evening together!

Mr. Tripster said...

That's a pretty theater. And there's nothing better than a live band playing jazz and soul. I like jazz too. You're lucky you've got someone else who is interested in those kinds of music and likes live performances. Me? I always go to this jazz club alone. My friends are too "contemporary pop music"-ish. But even if I am alone, I still enjoy every single moment i listen to a live band playing jazz, soul or blues music.

stevevhan said...

Well, if it's music i know it was really a blast! good thing that you guys enjoyed it! :) i love the archis there!

Post a Comment