Wednesday, December 2, 2020

Why?

 I do not understand why Filipinos in the Philippines celebrate American Thanksgiving day.

Did English pilgrims also come to the Philippines aboard the Mayflower?

I've never heard of this.

However, I know that Ferdinand Magellan, a Portuguese explorer, landed in the Philippines. But, he was greeted by Lapu-Lapu and he killed him. He chopped the explorer's head off. He only lived in the islands for less then a month after his arrival. 

But why would Filipinos in the Philippines celebrate thanksgiving day anyway? There were no pilgrims who came over, and celebrated their first harvest. There were no groups of Wamponaog who came for dinner.

Well, according to them, it is because the United States of America ruled the Philippines for 48 years. 

But still, the Philippines isn't America. Why would we practice another country's federal holiday.

Japan occupied the Philippines for three years, and I haven't heard or celebrated a holiday that's exclusively celebrated in Japan. Like, maybe, the emperor's birthday which is a public holiday. Or what about the Golden Week which is celebrated at the end of April to first week of May annually?

Spain conquered the Philippines for 120 years. I did not remember celebrating Fiesta de Nacional España in October or any other national holidays only celebrated in Spain. 

In mid 2000, the boy learned about Lapu-Lapu through Yoyoy Villame's song. He always wondered why there is no national holiday for Lapu-Lapu, whom he really believed was a hero.

Filipinos have colonial mentality, and this doesn't apply to only speaking fluently a foreign language, or preferring to buying imported goods. Now I know that this also applies to federal holidays. 

Some people I know are even proud to share on social media that their children speaks fluent English, and barely know the Visayan language. They share a celebratory post when these kids learn a few Visayan words or more. Well, one thing that is very peculiar is that these people are living in the Philippines, and haven't lived outside the country.

Come on! You guys should be ashamed of yourselves. Where is your patriotism? And these parents don't know that children who speak more than one language are smarter. That was what my children's teachers told me when they were in Kindergarten and first grade. In fact, they encouraged me to keep Visayan language at home.

Honestly, that really made me proud of myself. My children speaks, writes, and understands a Filipino language when most, if not all of their lives were spent in America. Only me and the mister expose them to the language, but we succeeded. 

Christopher Columbus explored America, and spread Christianity. Along with that, he also used violence, brutality, and enslaved inhabitants. He forced conversion of Christianity to native Americans. He sold them like they were his properties.

What kind of a Christian was he? He was a fake! 

I just wish that Filipinos back home celebrate our Philippine traditional holidays because it is ours, and we know its history.


Note: Republic Act No 114040, signed last June 29, 2018 by President Rodrigo Duterte, states that April 27 is Lapu-Lapu Day, a  special working public holiday throughout the country and a special nonworking holiday in the city of Lau-Lapu, Province of Cebu, to commemorate the victory of Lapu-Lapu and his men over the Spaniards led by Ferdinand Magellan in the historic battle of Mactan on April 27, 1521.

4 comments:

Julienne said...

A big YES to all these! Apila na pod ang halloween ug St Patrick's Day... Daghan kaayo diri mga bata karon na kasabot lang og Bisaya, pero di kamao mo-istorya.

Hi! I am LiLi! said...

Hala! Really? St. Patrick's Day?

And yes, I don't like that traditional Kalag-kalag is gone.

That's a shame, Jul.

Julienne said...

Yes, naa na ko mga nakita events and promos for St Patrick's, pati greetings, although dili pareha ka widespread sa thanksgiving

Twilight Man said...

You have spoken well about this Thanksgiving. I only learnt about it when I was a student and got invited to join an American family in Erie, Pennsylvania to eat Roast Turkey and all the food spread. Suddenly the restaurants in Malaysia are also celebrating this! My head shakes in disbelief when we had no US troops invading us.

I am glad I visited the US War Memorial in Makati and saw in shock & disbelief how the Japanese invaded your country. I thought China, Korea, Malaya and Singapore were the only victims.

Post a Comment