Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Biking

One spring day in April, the mister took me for a date. But he wanted me to ride my bike on our way to the location. Not from our home though, but from a parking lot a couple of miles away. How really clever for him to make me hop on the saddle after a really really long time. So, I did! Afterall, he spent money and countless hours to build me a vintage looking new mixte bicycle.  The travel was about a 5-mile bike at the C & O Canal towpath to this really old church turned coffee shop in Brunswick.  Que horror!

(((( FIVE FREAKIN' MILES? )))) Five in going there and another five in going back? That's 10 miles! OMG! He didn't tell me until we reached the second mile mark. How deceitful! I wasn't mad. I just thought he was really smart. Hahahaha! But what was good about it was he made sure there was no uphill trail. The boy didn't come with us because two of his friends came over to the house to play video games with him.

edited_file edited_file

 Five miles! Phew! For a first timer after over a decade back on the saddle, that was a total workout. My palms were sweating the whole time, especially since there were people hiking and biking on the trail too. The fear of loosing control of my bike and straight off the cliff, a ravine, or the river never left my mind. I wanted to give up many times but we were mid-way to the coffee shop already.

This 9' x 9' mural was by young artist Melanie Bambrick (17 years old). The mural illustrates life in Brunswick in the early 1900s.
edited_file

A few steps from that mural is Beans in the Belfry. This building was constructed to house the Brunswick Reformed Church in 1910, and served as a church until December of 1968. In between 1968 to 2005, I do not know how the building was used. Now, it is the home of Beans in the Belfry.Untitled Untitled

Fresh flowers, a blue grass band, mismatched tables, chairs and couches, old framed black and white photgraphs, and books make this place a one of kind place in this part of Maryland. They have retained all the old fixtures of the original building---the stained glass windows, doors, and even the honeycomb tiles in their bathrooms.

edited_file
Untitled Untitled
Beans in the Belfry
Untitled

The mister and I shared a tall and cool iced mocha, and a Tuscan Panini ($6.95). Freshly grilled on a hot panini grill Tuscan farm bread with hard salami, capicolla, peppered ham, and layered with provolone cheese, paper-thin red onion, fresh leaf spinach & sliced Roma tomatoes. It was served with a side of salad with the most delicious vinegarette that I've ever tasted.
Beans in the Belfry
edited_file edited_file edited_file edited_file

The ride back was not as hard as I thought it would be. It felt like the trail was slightly downhill. But quite honestly, I was glad I did it. Well, actually I was tricked into doing it! Hahaha.

Untitled
Untitled

On our way back, the mister told me that he was proud of me. I took the challenge with less than expected complaints, and he really thought I can pedal faster now.

edited_file edited_file

Until next Lili adventures. I heart you for stopping by.


Beans in the Belfry
122 W. Potomac St.
Brunswick, MD 21716

5 comments:

mike said...

what a great way to save old buildings. i wouldn't mind making it a residential house as long as na walang moo-moo. LOL!!!

jonathan said...

I heart your bike as well as the tree with all the white flowers. I like your neighbourhood and if ever I took pics of mine, it would all be dirt and bad roads.

Nancy Chan said...

Its been making years I last cycled on a bicycle. I think I wouldn't be able to do it now. The place looks like a grand ole place, very comfortable and relaxed. You have done it! Congratulations!

Hi! I am LiLi! said...

This place is miles away from our neighboorhood. The mister took me to ride my bike here because I get scared when there are moving cars with me on the road.

crybaby said...

i want a business like this.

Post a Comment