Thursday, April 23, 2015

Liver vs Armpit!

I was chatting with the young lady yesterday. I have learned that she's slowly learning Filipino (Tagalog) from her friends in college that still speaks the language fluently. At that same afternoon, she was hanging out with Gaylord.

I thought of sharing a pick-up line from the book that Cecile of Chuvaness gifted me last Christmas, Stupid Is Forever written by Philippine Senator Miriam Defensor-Santiago. Read about it--> here.

I was thinking that because it's short and easy to understand,  it wouldn't be difficult to share the joke with her. I told her to share it with Gaylord too.

I sent her this photo I took via Viber.
Untitled

I even translated it for her. I said:

Tagalog         Bisaya               English
kili-kili          ilok                    armpit
malapit          du-ol                   near
puso              kasing-kasing    heart

She: Ilok ka ba? (Are you the armpit?)
Me: "kay doul ka sa akong heart." (Because you're near my heart!)

She: Pero, Ma, di man duol kaayo ang ilok sa heart. (But, Ma, the armpit is not really near the heart.)

Me: huh?

She: Better ang "liver ka ba?" kay closer ang liver sa heart than ag ilok. ("Are you the liver?" is better because it is closer to the heart than the armpit!)

Hahaha!

FAIL!


Atay ka ba? 
Malapit ka kasi sa puso ko!
(Are you the liver? 
Because you're near my heart!)


Base on the illustration below, which is nearer to the heart? Is it the liver or the armpit?

chapter-45-textbook-presentation-43-728
(photo source)

...and, she's right! I guess the next time I share a joke or a pick-up line with the young lady, I better make sure that it'll work.

Sorry Miriam Defensor-Santiago, your pick up line didn't work for Yna.


2 comments:

jonathan said...

Yna probably doesn't have what they call Pinoy humour. I made some Pinoy jokes that I translated in English and they came across as corny ones. But Yna has a point, it's the liver!

Marjorie said...

Hahahaha... The girl has a point indeed.

Post a Comment